Part of the addiction recovery process at OTR includes patients attending group therapy. Learn more about group therapy benefits for recovery from addiction.
Learn More About Group Therapy and Addiction
Oregon Trail Recovery aims to ensure a safe environment where our clients can work on their substance addictions. During treatment, we assist them in utilizing the tools necessary to remain alcohol and drug-free long-term. We employ strength-based trauma-informed therapies to continue to engage our clients in their recovery process When struggling with substance abuse people tend to lose control of their life, and at OTR our goal is to put you back in the driver’s seat. A big part of that process is participation in group therapy. When a person shares their struggles and burdens with another, the weight doesn’t feel as heavy, and although the thought of sharing your past with people you don’t know can be intimidating, the healing that can come from doing it is life-changing.
Our Group Therapy Programs and Curriculums
By participating in group treatment for substance abuse you are giving yourself the best start for long-term recovery and healing and regaining control of your life. At OTR we offer group therapy Monday – Friday from 8:30 am to 10:30 am and Monday – Friday from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm. Our group therapy program is supervised by licensed professionals and includes the following treatment and techniques.
- Meditation and mindfulness
- The practice of meditation and mindfulness is an extremely beneficial technique. We start all our sessions with a meditation to help our clients release some of the stress and anxiety they are feeling and center their mind, body, and spirit to be able to focus and participate during our group therapy activities.
- Seeking safety
- This is an evidence-based, present-focused counseling model we use to help people attain safety from trauma and/or substance abuse. It is a safe way for our clients to get healing from past events without having to delve into the detailed account of possibly disturbing trauma memories.
- Art therapy
- The use of art therapy helps to promote spiritual recovery and shame reduction, as well as create diversity in group therapy activities.
- Anger Management
- Anger and violence often can have a causal role in the initiation of drug and alcohol use and can also be a consequence of substance abuse. This group therapy technique helps our clients to gradually be able to control and manage their anger in response to stimuli.
- Relapse prevention
- This is a cognitive-behavioral therapy that primarily treats addiction and substance abuse but also treats mental health disorders like depression and OCD. This technique seeks to identify high-risk situations in which a person is vulnerable to relapse and to use both cognitive and behavioral coping strategies to prevent future relapse in similar situations.
- Spiritual based sessions
- Using spirituality to rediscover the authentic self apart from addiction is a powerful tool. This helps you navigate negative thoughts and emotions and regain peace. This group therapy technique reintroduces you to the importance of love for yourself and others.
We also offer a White Byson, Wellbriety curriculum Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday 10:45 am to 11:45 am and are a Wellbriety Certified Treatment Center. Wellbriety is a movement that seeks to break the cycle of hurt caused by alcoholism with an emphasis on Native Spiritual traditions, that incorporates parts of the approaches of Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous in its curriculum. OTR clients participating in Wellbriety will receive:
- The Medicine Wheel and 12 Steps course, materials, and related counseling.
- Mending Broken Hearts course, materials, and related counseling.
- Warrior Down/Recovery Coach course, materials, and related counseling.
- The Red Road to Wellbriety: In the Native American Way’ and the supplementary workbook.
This approach to group treatment of substance abuse helps our clients be vulnerable in a safe and nurturing space and release hurts caused by the presence of addiction in their lives. The growth we see in the clients who attend Wellbriety is exponential. Clients learn about balance and the importance of such in their lives and their place in society with an emphasis on connection and forgiveness. I asked one of our clients who completed a 4-month treatment program with OTR and is now enrolled in our Clean and Sober living program what she benefitted from in our group therapy. “I got a view of what long-term recovery could look like, and all the skills I needed to be abstinent. I had healthy, positive, social interactions with support and healing, and I learned how to be able to forgive, what I thought was unforgivable. Also, family mediation was a huge part of my individual treatment.”
Family Group Therapy
We also offer a family group on Friday night from 7 pm to 8 pm. This is an Al-Anon based group facilitated by our staff where family and support people can come and meet with clients in a safe setting and begin to reconcile the effects of the presence of addiction in their lives and work on rebuilding healthy relationships based on boundaries and love.
Take The Next Steps
We are blessed to offer a variety of curriculums at Oregon trail Recovery for our clients’ addiction recovery needs that provide them with the tools they need to establish their new sober identity and be able to deal with life on life’s terms using healthy coping strategies and structure. If you or someone you love is still struggling with substance abuse, please call us at (855) 770-0577 and our caring admissions staff will help you find the best treatment program to meet your individual needs.